Play with clay and make it your canvas Artist in Residence with Srinia Chowdhury
In these workshops Srinia will take you through some of the endless possibilities for creating fascinating ceramic forms. She will also teach you a variety of techniques for surface decoration to make a lively canvas for your forms and expand your ceramic expressiveness.
- Materials, but not clay. Clay can be bought in the workshop.
*also book into the member’s only event Obvarra firing in September.
Workshop 2- handbuilding sculpture and advanced surface decoration techniques
Sunday 26 & Monday 27 August 10am–4.00pm
- People with some ceramics experience – eg at least 2 Canberra Potters’ courses
- intermediate and experienced potters
This workshop will teach the technique of handbuilding a sculpture using pinching and coiling methods and the various possibilities of making a 3D form. You get to make a small sculpture yourself as well as taking a deeper look into surface decorations and playing with different techniques in one piece.
A glimpse for what’s in store for you:
- Insight into drawing freehand
- Building a form from scratch
- Making clay armatures for big forms
- Printing on clay
- Stencil making
- other surface decoration methods
- Sources of inspiration
- Making your own engobes including recipes.
- presentation of the artist’s work and some references
- one completed sculpture single fired to cone 6
- small test pieces to remind you of the techniques
By the end of the workshop you will have a many ideas for creating your own colourful 3D ceramic forms which may or may not need to be glazed. The techniques shared will be easily help you make it a part of your practice.
Sunday 9 September 10am – 1pm
Learn to make unique and personal porcelain small objects and wearables based on your idea and design with ceramic artist Srinia Chowdhury. This unique workshop involves demonstration and knowledge of porcelain providing tips and encouraging everyone to have a go using simple yet attractive techniques from scratch such as drawing, printing and fun surface decorations. You get to make earrings, brooches, fridge magnets, pendants, little vases or coasters.
This is a family friendly event children over ten accompanied by an adult are welcome.
Includes clay and firing.
Obvarra Firing–Members only event
Sunday 23 Sept 10am-1pm
This special firing event is available to Canberra Potters members only for more information watch this short video–obvara firing with Srinia
Participants should bring at least 2 bisque fired forms.
Forms should be
- open, eg plates, bowls, beakers*
- made of light coloured clay – eg white raku, stoneware clay (but not iron rich clay)
- and no greater than 20cm x 20cm x 10cm
*Note Obvarra fired forms are not watertight or food safe.
Book in three easy steps
Step 1 – Add your details, select class from drop down list then enter your credit card details.
Step 2 – Click on CONFIRM AMOUNT to update number of places and the final payment amount. Please note you must CONFIRM AMOUNT before you PLACE ORDER, otherwise your order will be cancelled.
Step 3 – Click on PLACE ORDER to process your payment. Confirmation email will follow.
If you do NOT receive confirmation an error message will appear immediately below this information. (You may need to scroll to top of form to view it.)