Monday 7 to Friday 11 January
10am – 4pm Please note that some information circulated stated incorrect start time of 9 am – apologies for any confusion.
$580 (clay and firing not included – clay will be available for purchase at the workshop)
Watson Arts Centre
Aspinall St Watson ACT
- beginners (no experience required)
- intermediate and advanced students
- wheel throwers and hand builders
Michelle is our visiting Artist over the summer period. She is here from Scotland, escaping the winter.
She builds large ceramic sculptures inspired by natural forms. In this workshop she will demonstrate some of the processes and techniques she uses to create and assemble her sculptures. She makes the many elements of her work either on the potters’ wheel and by handbuilding; these are then altered and assembled to create complex organic forms. You can see more of Michelle’s work on her website http://www.michelleyounghares.co.uk/
Throughout the week Michelle will help you to explore:
- Source material – the art and necessity of looking and recording (digital/drawing/painting).
- Scale and form (developing an idea, complex curves, energy lines).
- Throwing: cylinders, tendrils and components.
- Altering and attaching elements.
- The importance of experiment and play.
- Handbuilding with textured clay slabs (stretching, patterns, imprints).
- Modelling and using thick piped slips to build texture.
- Introducing colour.
Students will have the chance to experiment and develop these techniques to create a series of their own sculptures, forms and vessels. We will also design and create a large group piece as the week progresses.
Book in three easy steps
Step 1 – add your details, select class and enter credit card details.
Step 2 – Click on CONFIRM AMOUNT to update number of places and the final payment amount – you must CONFIRM AMOUNT before you PLACE ORDER, otherwise your order will be cancelled.
Step 3 – Click on PLACE ORDER to process your payment. Confirmation email will follow.
If you do NOT receive confirmation an error message will appear immediately below this information. (You may need to scroll to top of form to view it.)