Slip casting – Two Part Moulds with Mark Saunders
Saturday 12 & Sunday 13 October 2019
10am – 3pm
$215 (includes plaster and slip – firing not included)
- beginners who have done the introduction to clay course
- intermediate, and advanced students
- no prior experience with mould making is required as the basics will be covered.
This course is an introduction to making moulds for slip casting, focusing primarily on simple multiple part moulds to replicate simple shapes rather than functional tableware.
Participants will make a two piece mould of an orange as an exercise that will cover the fundamental aspects of multiple part moulds for slip casting. Through this process you will develop an understanding of how multiple part moulds work that you can apply to your own practice.
Places are limited so book early.
- Guide to basic terminology relating to mould making and slip casting.
- Demonstration of how to make the first part of a two piece mould of an orange.
- Students set up their fruit for the first pour of plaster.
- Demonstration and explanation of mixing plaster.
- Students pour the first part of their mould.
- Demonstration for second part of the mould.
- Students set up and pour the second part of their mould.
- Demonstration of mixing powdered casting slip.
- Demonstration of casting slip in a mould.
- Students cast slip in their moulds.
- Demonstration of cleaning up seam lines.
- Exploration of different types of moulds and discussing how they were made.
- Examining objects participants have brought in and discussing how to go about making a mould of them.
Note: Day Two will be more theory based than practical because of time constraints.
Once classes are full they disappear from this form.
Book in three easy steps
Step 1 – Add your details, select class from drop down list then enter your credit card details.
Step 2 – Click on CONFIRM AMOUNT to update number of places and the final payment amount. Please note you must CONFIRM AMOUNT before you PLACE ORDER, otherwise your order will be cancelled.
Step 3 – Click on PLACE ORDER to process your payment. This can take a moment to process. Clicking a second time may result in your credit card being charged twice. A confirmation email will follow. If you do not receive an email we suggest you check your junk mail folder.
If you do NOT receive confirmation an error message will appear immediately below this information. (You may need to scroll to top of form to view it.)