Introduction to Clay – $375
Suitable for–beginners (clay and firing included – there are limits on the quantity to ensure that quality is maintained in your work)
Class options –
- weekly – one class a week for 9 weeks
- intensive – 4 days over 2 weekends
First term of weekly classes for 2019 commences in the week starting Saturday 9 Feb – classes are full.
If there are cancellations spaces will be opened so check the dropdown list below. Only classes with available spaces will appear on the dropdown list. We do not keep a waitlist.
Bookings for Term 2, starting 4 May, will open soon, so check back regularly to ensure you get the class you want.
Weekly classes are available on;
- Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 6-9pm
- Friday 10am-1pm
- Saturday 9.30am – 12.30pm*
- Saturday 2pm – 5pm*
*Please note there will be no classes on Saturday March 9 due to the Canberra Day long weekend. The term will be extended by one week to Saturday April 13 to deliver all 9 sessions of the program.
Only classes that have available spaces will appear in the drop down list below, click the red arrow to see all available classes. Once classes are full they disappear from the form.
For more information on class dates for 2018 click here. Please note that Canberra Potters classes do not run on long weekends, this means that Friday, Saturday and Monday classes falling on a long weekend will be not run. the cost of the course will be adjusted to reflect this.
NB Because this course follows a set curriculum, it is not possible for a missed class to be made up on another day or time.
This course takes students through a range of techniques for working with clay.
- sessions 1 to 3 – students get a feel for clay and its properties through various hand-building techniques and projects.
- session 4 – introduction to glazing
- sessions 5, 6 and 7 focus on the potter’s wheel, learning to centre clay (the basis for all wheel-throwing) and form cylinders and other shapes.
- In week 8, work produced during weeks so far is glazed ready for final firing.
- In week 9 a raku firing takes place when students will see some of their pots go through the raku rapid firing process. This is weather dependant and may not happen in very hot or high fire danger conditions.
Health and safety aspects of working with clay and pottery materials are covered during the course.
Intensive Intro–the same course packed into 4 days.
(booked out) Saturday 9, Sunday 10, Monday 11, and Sunday 24 (9 am – 4.30pm)
Saturday 13, Sunday 14, Monday 15, and Sunday 28 (9 am – 4.30pm)
Book in three easy steps
Step 1 – add your details, select class and enter credit card details.
Step 2 – Click on CONFIRM AMOUNT to update number of places and the final payment amount – you must CONFIRM AMOUNT before you PLACE ORDER, otherwise your order will be cancelled.
Step 3 – Click on PLACE ORDER to process your payment. Confirmation email will follow.
If you do NOT receive confirmation an error message will appear immediately below this information. (You may need to scroll to top of form to view it.)