Introduction to Clay – $375
Suitable for–beginners (clay and firing included – there are limits on the quantity to ensure that quality is maintained in your work)
Class options –
- weekly – one class a week for 9 weeks
- intensive – 4 days over 2 weekends
First term of weekly classes for 2019 commences in the week starting Saturday 9 Feb – bookings now open
Weekly classes are available on;
- Tuesday (FULLY BOOKED), Thursday (FULLY BOOKED) and Friday 6-9pm (FILLING FAST)
- Friday 10am-1pm (ONLY 2 PLACES LEFT)
- Saturday 9.30am – 12.30pm* (FILLING FAST)
- Saturday 2pm – 5pm* (PLACES AVAILABLE)
*Please note there will be no classes on Saturday March 9 due to the Canberra Day long weekend. The term will be extended by one week to Saturday April 13 to deliver all 9 sessions of the program.
Only classes that have available spaces will appear in the drop down list below, click the red arrow to see all available classes. Once classes are full they disappear from the form.
For more information on class dates for 2018 click here. Please note that Canberra Potters classes do not run on long weekends, this means that Friday, Saturday and Monday classes falling on a long weekend will be not run. the cost of the course will be adjusted to reflect this.
NB Because this course follows a set curriculum, it is not possible for a missed class to be made up on another day or time.
This course takes students through a range of techniques for working with clay.
- sessions 1 to 3 – students get a feel for clay and its properties through various hand-building techniques and projects.
- session 4 – introduction to glazing
- sessions 5, 6 and 7 focus on the potter’s wheel, learning to centre clay (the basis for all wheel-throwing) and form cylinders and other shapes.
- In week 8, work produced during weeks so far is glazed ready for final firing.
- In week 9 a raku firing takes place when students will see some of their pots go through the raku rapid firing process. This is weather dependant and may not happen in very hot or high fire danger conditions.
Health and safety aspects of working with clay and pottery materials are covered during the course.
Intensive Intro–the same course packed into 4 days.
January – 2 courses available – Please note due to high fire risks in January Raku firings will not be included in these courses, unless the conditions are safe.
Saturday 12, Sunday 13, Monday 14, and Sunday 27 (9 am – 4.30pm) Booked out
Saturday 18, Sunday 19, Monday 20 & Sunday 3 February (9 am – 4.30pm) Filling Fast
Book in three easy steps
Step 1 – add your details, select class and enter credit card details.
Step 2 – Click on CONFIRM AMOUNT to update number of places and the final payment amount – you must CONFIRM AMOUNT before you PLACE ORDER, otherwise your order will be cancelled.
Step 3 – Click on PLACE ORDER to process your payment. Confirmation email will follow.
If you do NOT receive confirmation an error message will appear immediately below this information. (You may need to scroll to top of form to view it.)