Canberra Potters Firing Rates
New firing rates and policy for Term 4 2019
From Saturday 19 October 2019 new firing requirements and charges will apply at Canberra Potters. This change is to streamline the firing process and reflects increases in energy and equipment maintenance costs.
- All enrolled student will pay a Firing Fee in week 1 of term. This fee covers maintenance and administration of kilns and up to 5kgs of bisque and or glaze firing.
- Individual items up to a size of 30 X 30cm can be fired.
- Larger items are at the discretion of the Technical Manager and subject to space limitations and kiln availability and may attract an additional cost.
- Please be aware that the Firing Fee is not transferrable from term to term or to another student.
- All students will still complete a Student Firing Record. Payment for firing weights over the included rate are payable in advance. Per kilo rates are listed below.
|TERM FIRING FEE FOR CLASS PARTICIPANTS|
|Includes up to 5kg bisque and/or glaze
|$35 for members *|
|A good choice if you intend to fire a smaller amount||$42 for enrolled students
|Includes up to 10kg bisque and/or glaze||$55 for members*
|More cost effective if you wish to fire a larger amount||$62 for enrolled students|
|Per kilo rate bisque or glaze||$6.50 for enrolled students (*Members see below)|
|Per kilo rate bisque and glaze||$9 for enrolled students (*Members see below)|
Member firing rates have been increased in line with energy and equipment costs and still represent very good value for the service offered.
Firing costs are paid prior to firing. Staff are always happy to assist you with payments.
|PREPAID PER KILO FIRING RATES (Members only)|
|Bisque and glaze firing
|$8 per kilo for members*
|Bisque OR glaze only
|$5.50 per kilo for members*|
Available firings for class students:
- Bisque firing: 1000°C (Cone 06)
- Midfire Glaze firing: 1200°C (Cone 6): N.B. All standard CPS glazes are midfire
- Canberra Potters’ Society only uses midfire-appropriate clays and glazes in all classes (excluding speciality courses or special teacher-run firings).
- If you are unsure of your clay or glaze type, please contact a staff member for help.
- If our standard firings don’t suit your clay or glaze type (e.g. for stoneware or earthenware firings),
- We also offer private kiln hire for members with a valid kiln licence. For more details please visit the ‘Kiln Hire’ page.
- Members who hire a kiln may fire other than Cone 6
We will NOT fire
- Work that is wet or damp. Work must be ‘bone dry’ when it is placed on the trolleys to avoid evaporating moisture and/or explosions in the kiln.
- Work that contains foreign materials (metal, wood, etc.). The burnout can damage elements.
- Glazed green ware (raw clay).
- Work with glazed bases. This will stick to the kiln shelf during firing. Any work found to have glaze on the base or deemed otherwise unsuitable to fire will be placed on the ‘REJECT’ shelf in the kiln shed.
- Solid or extremely thick pieces. Anything thicker than 3cm MAX has the potential to explode.
- Work that is hazardous to the staff or our kilns.
- Wax and wipe the bottom of all of your pots to ensure there is no glaze there.
- Make sure that your work is placed on the correct firing trolley & is ready to be fired. Putting work on the wrong trolley endangers everyone else’s work in the kiln. If you are unsure, ask a staff member for help.
- Poke a hole in your piece if it is hollow and fully enclosed. This WILL explode if you don’t.
- Write your name or uniquely mark your work to more easily identify and collect from the trolleys. This also helps to prevent accidentally collecting someone else’s work.
- Take your boxes with you; they will be disposed of if left behind. Trolley space is limited & is not for storage.
- Bring your own box & packing material when you pick up your work as we do not supply these items.
- Touch or move another person’s work.
- Approach the kiln packers with questions or requests. They are only paid to pack the kilns not to teach or assist.
- Ask the kiln packers to fire your work. All kiln packing is done as per the schedule set by the kiln manager. Class work must take priority.